Monday 5 September 2016

Part four

I am having the Devil's own job uploading photos on blogspot which, to put it mildly is c*** . So, I will blog here and you can see my photos on a public Facebook page entitled

Photos From The English Camino.

I hope that works.
OK, now to day two of walking.
It was to be a fairly easy day of only 25kms (15 Miles). But as with most things there is always a twist this time in the beginning. The walk out of  Pontedueme was up a very steep hill. If I had to have done that last night I would have given up and gone home. But the legs felt good and the granite buildings with their collonaded walkways were showing the first signs of life. Shutters were clacking open, yellow lights were glowing in the dark, and the first ambling residents were heading for the bread shops. It was around a kilometre to the top of the hill and I was puffing a bit come the end.

But then it was forest track, rough and stony with a few inclines here and there. All around me Eucalyptus trees were shedding their bark and the path was covered with last year's skin, now turning brown and quite slippery if you weren't careful. The track emerged in the village of Mino, another seaside resort with a large beach. It was regulation hiking. My friend who was with me remarked that if it was always like this life would be easy.

The heat was being kept at bay by a covering of sea fog although I could feel the heat rising as I walked on. I love the feeling of being deep into the countryside and away from the rush of the city. The little villages I went through had no your people on show, but there was always the very elderly man or woman, inveriably leaning on a walking stick and always dressed immaculately, and always ready to exchange a smile and a Buen Camino.

On the via de la Plata that I walked last year dogs were a problem. I found that the best way of dealing with them was to point my finger at their eyes and shout as loud as I could while advancing towards them. It seemed to work. And when it didn't I threw stones at them. That always worked.
Well, today I met another dog. A ginger one about the size of a rat and who could easily of had several fathers. He was wearing a large diamanté collar and came snapping at me from a farmyard.

Well, you can't really invoke violence on something so tiny and before I knew where I was it was up me legs and in my arms licking the salt off my face for all it was worth. It would appear I had this one for life, until that it is spotted a group of three young ladies walking behind me. Off it went to be cuddled and cosseted by them. Smart dog that, I thought.

The rest of the journey was minor country road until I entered the environs of Betanzos, my overnight stop. I was pleased to see they were hosing down the sheets for me as I descended into the town. A carpet of palm leaves would have been nice but you can't have everything.

The last challenge was another steep cobbled road that led into the main square, at the top of which I assumed my usual recovery position of hands on knees while gasping for breath. Quite normal but before I knew where I was someone had their hand on my elbow. I looked up,to see a woman in a white uniform. I waited but hearing no harps assumed I was still alive. She was the pharmacist from the chemist shop I stopped outside of. She obviously didn't know that men in their seventieth yer can often be found gasping for breath t the top,of this particular hill.

I pulled myself up straight and smiled. Satisfied I want goin to die she smiled back. At least I know where to go for free pills in future . The hostel I was going to stay in opened later in the day, so I found a bar with great Galician cider and Miles Davis playing over the radio. Another satisfactory day on the Camino.

Don't forget.       Photos on Facebook page.    PHOTOS FROM THE  ENGLISH CAMINO

No comments:

Post a Comment